Gai Fanboys at Power Morphicon: CS Toys Edition
(Pictures courtesy of CSToys Japan facebook page)
While meeting guests, shopping, and seeing cosplays are a great part of the PMC experience, some of the most memorable parts of the convention involved CS Toys and Mr. S & co. It was a pleasure to have met Mr. S and his family in the previous PMC, and it was a real honor to be appointed as a permanent chat moderator in the months that followed.
Leading up to the PMC 2014, Mr. S and I had discussions preparing for PMC, ranging from obtaining a business permit to reporting CA Sales Tax. At the end we were glad CS Toys was able to sell items at the convention unlike the previous PMC.
Some interesting highlights during throughout the weekend involving CS Toys/Mr. S:
- Went to the Sheraton the day before the convention started. Had dinner with Mr. S and the RRR crew.
- Met packer Maki for the first time! He struggled with his English but he gave it his best to talk to everyone!
- Got to see Mr. S’s son Kotaro again! He got so much taller! All throughout dinner he wanted me to show him interesting pictures from America (conventions, food, etc.)
- On Day 1 before the exhibit hall opened, I got a voicemail from Mr. S asking if I could get them some Red Bulls XD
- Along with the Red Bulls I also got them some granola/snack bars as they barely get to eat during daytime during the con.
- ….also gave Mr. S a Legacy Morpher because his only other Power Ranger toy was a 5 inch figure from MMPR Toys and the MMPR DVD set. Perhaps you will see a demo on the Alternative Show in the near future? XD
- On Day 1 Mr. S suddenly busted out a box of CS Toys merchandise: hat, polo shirts, t-shirts. Without paying much attention to the price instantly bought the hat and polo. There were times when I forgot I had the hat on because I can’t feel it when wearing the Gai wig.
- Was fun to be able to talk to the chat using the mic. Hopefully I gave everyone in the chat their shout-outs.
- On Day 2 I commissioned zix-art to draw CS-kun on a shikishi and for everyone to sign it as a token of appreciation. Zix went above and beyond to provide a colorful and well drawn CS-kun. Thanks Zix!
- I also got Mr. S & co. some Vitamin water in the morning.
- As the exhibit hall was about to close on Day 2, a mass of people gathered around the CS Toys booth. Since I had the mic at the time, I thought we should all get involved. So I started a “CS TOYS! CS TOYS!” chant. Everyone was so into it. Mr. S told me later that he was almost in tears when it happened.
- Had dinner with Mr. S, Maki, zeronxepher, theezrider kirbyhoshi daoutlaw, TyphoonBang, and others. Lots of shenanigans were had as Maki was taking pictures of all of us upon learning more about each of us (Zeron’s videos, EZ’s review’s, Stan/Deb’s cosplays, etc). We then noted Maki was pretty great himself, being an actual archery champion in Japan =X
- Maki + cold beer = Tears of Joy
- On the last day I was at isthistakenalready's artist alley table when TyphoonBang came by wearing a CS Toys t-shirt and holding Mr. S's iPad and mic….yup, he was filming the convention for Mr. S because he couldn't leave his booth. So I ended up working the mic while Typhoon worked the camera…. if you guys do watch the video in the future, I want to apologize in advance for my horrible improve and mic skills…. =X
- When we returned to the booth Maki gave me a CS Toys t-shirt. CS PRESS w00t!
- As the filming was coming to an end I almost forgot what I would tell myself to do since the last PMC: hum the CS Toys background music. I totally forgot to do it on the stream so I had to redeem myself by humming it in the iPad video.
- ….and short after we finished filming, the livestream died because the laptop died and Mr. S had packed the charger in his luggage lol.
- And since the first Thank You signboard filled up quickly, I had commissioned Zix to do another one. I told Mr. S it was called “Aritgatou Part 2”
So there you have it, my “CS Experience” at Power Morphicon 2014. It pretty much made up half my PMC experience and I was glad to be part of their experience as well!